Get in touch with Stanhope Primary T 0191 420 1710   F 0191 456 6235
page header

School SEND Information Report

Respective Responsibilities for Pupils with Special Educational Needs (SEN)

Local Offer for Children with Special Educational Needs (SEN)

Stanhope Primary School is a mainstream setting but we are a fully inclusive school who ensures that all pupils achieve their potential personally, socially, emotionally and academically in all areas of the curriculum (regardless of their gender, ethnicity, social backgrounds, religion, sexual identity, physical ability or educational needs).  This document is intended to give you information regarding the ways in which we ensure we support all of our pupils, including those with SEN, in order that they can realise their potential.  It may not list every skill, resources and technique we use in order to achieve this as these are continually developed and used to modify our provision to meet the changing requirements for individual pupils.

Children are identified as having SEN when their progress has slowed or stopped and the interventions, resources etc, put in place do not enable improvement.  Once this occurs, we use specific need-based plans and pupil profiles which help support their development and speed up progress.  Children with SEN at Stanhope Primary School make “very good progress and the standards they reach are higher than those of similar pupils in other schools nationally.” (Ofsted June, 2014).  Other useful documents such as our SEN and Inclusion policy are available.  If you would like further information about what we offer here at Stanhope Primary School, then please do not hesitate to contact the SENDCo or Early Years (EYFS) SENDCo directly on: 0191 4201710.


The School SEND Information Report

This utilises the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

The Local Authority Local Offer

  • The purpose of the Local Offer is to enable parents and young people to see more clearly what services are available in their area and how to access them.  It covers provision for children and young people from birth to 25 and includes information on education, health and social care services.
  • Please follow our link to access further information regarding these services in South Tyneside  ( )

Code of Practice 2014 states:
All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The broad areas of SEND are:

  • Cognition and Learning
  • Communication and Interaction
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  • Sensory and / or Physical

The following questions and answers detail the provision which is provided and meets the requirements of the new Code of Practice 2014 in Stanhope Primary School.

1. Who are the best people to contact in this school about my child’s Educational Needs/Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?  

The SENDCo: Mrs V Korn, the EYFS SENDCo: Mrs L Warrington
The SENDCo, EYFS SENDCo and Head Teacher are responsible for:

  • developing and reviewing the school's SEN policy
  • co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • ensuring that you as a parent are
  • involved in supporting your child's learning
  • kept informed about the support your child is getting
  • involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child's learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology
  • updating the school's SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child's progress and needs are kept
  • providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible
  • review the progress for assessing and reviewing your child's progress and the necessary actions with the class teacher

The Class Teacher is responsible for:-

  • checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Educational Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo) know as necessary
  • writing Pupil Progress targets for Individual Learning Plans (ILPs) and sharing and reviewing these with parents and SENDCo at termly meetings
  • ensuring that the school's SEN policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND
  • provision planned by the class teacher is differentiated and adapted accordingly to suit the needs of your child

The Head Teacher, Mrs L A Martin is responsible for:-

  • the day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND
  • delegating responsibility to the SENDCo and EYFS SENDCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child's needs are met
  • ensuring the Governing Body is kept up-to-date about issues relating to SEND

The SEND Governor is responsible for:-

  • making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school

2. What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

For your child this would mean:-

  • that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class
  • that all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand
  • that different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class.  This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • that specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo or EYFS SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn
  • your child's teacher will have carefully checked on your child's progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.  This could entail your child participating in specific group work as and when their needs have been identified.
  • Interventions
    • run in the classroom or a group room
    • run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA)
    • specialist groups supported by outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language Therapy
  • All support provided for your child will be reviewed regularly by the class teacher. From these reviews the class teacher will hold discussions with the SENCo, EYFS SENCo and if necessary the Head and Deputy Head Teacher

3. When a child has been identified as having additional support.

This means a pupil has been identified by the class teacher to the SENDCo or EYFS SENDCo as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.  This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services, such as the Emotional Resilience Team, CYPS (Children and Young People Service) or Hearing or Visual Impairment Service
  • Speech and Language Therapy Service
  • Physiotherapy or Occupational Therapy Service
  • outside agencies such as the Educational Psychology Service (EPS)

What could happen:

  • you may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist.  This will help the school to understand your child's particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school
  • the specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support
  • this information will be fed back to you through the services involved and through the school
  • parents/carers will always be consulted and informed as regards to arrangements, support and strategies involving your child
  • the class teacher, SENCo or EYFS SENCo will also take tome to discuss your child's views on the support they recieve

4. Specified individual support: Introducing the Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC)

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.  This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs and now an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).  This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.  This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the CYPS, Educational Psychology Teacher Service or Hearing and Visual Impairment Service
  • outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service

For your child this would mean:

  • the school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child's needs.  This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child
  • after the request has been made to the 'Panel of Professionals' (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child's needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment.  If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child's needs.  If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support
  • after the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child's needs are severe, complex and lifelong.  If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP).  If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible
  • the EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place.  It will also have long and short-term outcomes for your child
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

5. How can I let the school know that I am concerned about my child’s progress?

If you have concerns about your child's progress, you should speak to your child's class teacher initially, who will then consult with the SENDCo to discuss their next steps.

  • if you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Educational Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo) yourself
  • the school SEN Governor can also be contacted for support

6. How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s progress?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have
  • identify any additional support your child may need
  • complete the initial SEND meeting form and explain to you about registering your child on the SEND register
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child as the next step

7. How is the extra support allocated?

  • the school budget, received from South Tyneside Local Authority, includes money for supporting children with SEND
  • the Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school
  • the Head Teacher, the SENDCo and EYFS SENDCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:
    • children getting extra support already
    • children needing extra support
    • children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected

From this information they decide what resources/training and support is needed.  The school identifies the needs of SEND pupils on a provision map.  This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.

8. Who provides the support for my child in this school?

School Provision

  • teachers responsible for teaching SEN groups/individuals on a part-time basis
  • teaching and learning assistants mainly working in the group room or shared spaces with either individual children or small groups
  • ICT support in the form of a phonic reading programme, is delivered in small groups or individual sessions, according to need
  • teaching assistants or Home-School Liaison Officer offering support for children with emotional and social development through our Friendship Groups or 1-to-1

Local Authority Provision delivered in school and liaison with school staff

  • Emotional Resilience Service
  • CYPS Service
  • Educational Psychology Service - Barbara Routledge is the school's named psychologist
  • Hearing and Visual Impairment Service
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)

Health Provision delivered in school and liaison with school staff

  • additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • School Nurse - Andrea Gleave is the named school nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy

9. How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND, and what training do they have?

The SENDCo and EYFS SENDCo's role is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.

  • the school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND.  This includes whole school training on SEN issues, such as speech and language difficulties, autism, supporting children with learning difficulties
  • individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class

10. How do you measure the progress of a child with SEND?

  • your child's progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher
  • his/her progress will be reviewed formally with the Head Teacher, SENCo, EYFS SENDCo every term in reading, writing and numeracy
  • if your child is in Reception or above, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used, which shows their attainment in more detail - breaking learning down into smaller steps
  • at the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of Foundation Stage 2, Year 2 and Year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Teacher Assessment and Tests.  This is something the Government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally
  • where necessary, children will have an ILP based on the assessment tools or based on targets set by outside agencies specific to their needs.  Targets will be set using these assessments that are designed to accelerate learning and close the gap.  Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly and evidence assessed and a future plan made
  • the progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child's education and your child's views also take into account
  • the SENDCo or EYFS SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in
  • Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENDCo, EYFS SENDCo and other members of the Senior Management Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.
  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child's progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

11. How do we support you as a parent of a child with SEND?

  • the SENDCo or EYFS SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child's progress or any concerns/worries you may have
  • all information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report
  • personal progress targets, Individual Learning Plans (ILP), Group Support Plans (GSP) will be reviewed with your involvement
  • homework will be adjusted as needed to your child's individual requirements
  • a home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child

12. How is Stanhope Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

  • the school is fully compliant with Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) requirements having been designed in 2010 and opened to staff and pupils in September 2011
  • the school is on a split-level with easy access via ‘The Hub’ through the use of two ramps
  • the front desk has a wheel-chair height section and is DDA compliant
  • there are two disabled adult toilets and two disabled pupil toilets in each Key Stage
  • we ensure wherever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs
  • after-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEND
  • extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND

13. How will we support your child when they are joining our school/transferring a year group or school?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

If your child is joining us from another school:

  • the SENDCo or EYFS SENDCo will visit with the Home-School Liaison Officer when appropriate
  • your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, in the Early Years Foundation Stage
  • your child can visit the school and take a tour of the whole school and meet the teaching staff in all key stages

If your child is moving to another school:

  • we will contact the school SENDCo or EYFS SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.  Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENDCo from the new school
  • we will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible
  • if your child would be helped by a Pupil Profile to support them when moving on, then one will be made for them

When moving classes in school:

  • all classes follow a structured transition plan with extra preparation time given to support the children who need more support with transition
  • information will be passed onto the new class teacher in advance and in all cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher.  ILPs will be shared with the new teacher
  • if your child has a Pupil Profile this will be shared at the meeting

In year 6:-

  • the SENDCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of the child's secondary school.  In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENDCo from the new school
  • your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead
  • where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school
  • if your child has a Pupil Profile this will be shared at the meeting and travel with your child to their new school

14. How do we support your child’s emotional and social development?

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured.  These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including emotional difficulties, anxiousness and struggling to communicate their fears.
We aim to support their needs with:-

  • in-school emotional and social groups, run by the Home-School Liaison Officer and a trained Teaching Assistant.  This follows Nurture Principles and is run on a termly basis
  • 1-to-1
  • Bereavement Counselling
  • lunchtime and playtime support through planned activities and groups

Outside provision:-

  • Emotional Resilience Team
  • CYPS (Children and Young People Service)
  • ASD Speech and Language Therapy

For further information

If your child and family still needs extra support, with your permission the SENDCo or EYFS SENDCo will access further support through the Early Help Process. If you have any concerns about your child's SEN, progress or provision we would urge you to come into school and discuss matters further with your child's class teacher or the school SENCO.  Although school complaints procedures are in place we would always hope to resolve any issues or concerns informally by working in partnership with parents. Please see our complaints policy for more information, our SEND link governor is Mrs Dawn Halliday

Parents can contact their local Parent Partnership Service for impartial information, advice and support in relation to their child's SEN and/or disability.
Contact details:-

  • Gillian Harte, South Tyneside Parent Partnership Officer, Primrose Village Children's Centre
  • Phone - 0191 4246345
  • e-mail -



latest news